Once again, the federal liberals run on certain progressive platform ideas, scoop those ordinarily voting for other progressive parties under the pretence that this time it will be different, this time its for #realchange.
This is your answer.
So now, you'll have to vote Liberal again with the false promise that THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT.
First. BC Political pundit calls out BC Liberal flailing on bridge tolls.
Proof that the BC Liberals are lost at sea is their all-over-the-map position on bridge tolls. #bcpoli
— Keith Baldrey (@keithbaldrey) August 27, 2017
Keith is right. BC Liberals and other opponents are spitting mad that the NDP outflanked them on a bread and butter issues that faces daily commuters that travel the Port Mann (and Golden Ears) toll bridges.
Attack #1: removing tolls makes the bridges an unsupported debt and therefore adding to the overall taxpayer supported debt.
Answer: False. TiC, the Crown Corporation in charge of running the bridges and collecting its toll revenue was losing a lot of money. By definition, that's a non-supported debt. Don't agree? That's what the Auditor General said too.
Attack #2: What about other transportation means? Now shouldn't the NDP make other transit-type options available?
Answer: you'll have to excuse the amateurish attempt to conflate issues, …
The first mistake in trying to project a narrative from the Vancouver city by-election result is to believe that it carries any weight beyond the 10% turnout that it was.
Geoff Meggs resigned his council seat to take a senior position as John Horgan's chief of staff. So a by-election was held to replace him. 27% of the 10% eligible voters chose the NPA's candidate. Pretty underwhelming of a mandate. But, a decision nonetheless.
Today's spin: This is a verdict against the NDP. Against the NDP/Greens. BC Liberals on the rebound.
For a party on the rebound, netting less than a third of the popular vote in an election that excited no one is hardly worth celebrating.That "27%" mandate is with only one party on the centre-right. The NPA used to dominate this field and would have no trouble getting high numbers.The other 73% are voters, candidates, parties that are centre and centre-left. The 73% have to get their shit together.That 27% could w…
Damned if they do.
If the NDP proceed with SiteC, they will have invalidated many of the arguments they hit the BC Liberals with.
The dam is not a $7 billion dollar project, it's likely to exceed $12 billion if allowed to continue.
This $12 billion is on top of the billions more debt the provincial government has forced upon BC Hydro while simultaneously taking billions in "dividend" payments* from the crown utility to prop up their imaginary budget surplus. Did I mention that the BC Liberals had forced BC Hydro into deferring debt payments while this dangerous liability was growing in the background.
This is the state of things now, and if the NDP continues SiteC, this becomes their mess as they will have signed on to the plan.
In doing so, the NDP risks alienating a large section of supporters who believed their promise that a negative verdict from a BC Utilities Commission report would trigger it's cancellation. Folks who generally see themselves somewhere on …